Gentle Tooth Removal in the Central Valley
Gentle Tooth Removal in the Central Valley
Sometimes the only way to prevent further oral problems is by removing the affected tooth or teeth. Severe dental decay, gum disease, facial injuries, or other conditions that can cause damage are common reasons for tooth extraction, which is a common procedure in our office at Fresno Oral Maxillofacial Surgery & Dental Implant Center. An adult or baby tooth sometimes needs to be removed for orthodontic purposes as well. Tooth extractions performed by a skilled oral surgeon ensures safe and comfortable removal and a fast recovery.
All of your treatment options will be considered before your referring dentist and oral surgeon determine that a tooth extraction is the best option. A tooth can sometimes be saved by your oral surgeon or dentist through a root canal, apicoectomy, or other restorative procedure. However, an extraction may be the only solution in some cases. Tooth replacement options, such as dental implants, will be discussed with you to replace the missing tooth. If a bone grafting procedure is needed before dental implant placement, we may be able to place the graft at the same time as the extraction.
Reasons for Needing a Tooth Removed
Dental extractions treat several different conditions, including:
- Severe decay or tooth infections. Tooth decay that is severe enough can spread infection to other parts of the mouth.
- Broken or damaged teeth. In the instance where a broken tooth cannot be repaired by a dentist or oral surgeon, the remaining part of the tooth will need to be removed.
- Crowding or impaction. In rare cases, extra teeth are present in the dental arch. Because there is often not enough room to accommodate these extra teeth, crowding and poor positioning are common. In some instances, baby teeth (often the canines) do not fall out in time for the new teeth to come in. Removing these baby teeth allows the adult teeth to erupt and grow into their proper position.
- Gum disease (periodontal disease). Gum disease can loosen the tooth sockets and damage the teeth if it is advanced enough. Extractions are sometimes necessary to stop the infection and prevent it from affecting the adjacent bone tissue and teeth.
The Tooth Extraction Procedure
You will meet with Dr. Chien, Dr. Kheradpir, Dr. Barnhart, Dr. Huh, and Dr. Curiel during the consultation. Our staff may take 3D scans of your mouth to create detailed digital images of your facial structure. Prior to any procedure, we will discuss and help you select the right form of anesthesia for your comfort.
If you have been given local anesthesia, which is common for a tooth extraction procedure, you will be awake during the procedure but should not feel any pain. Pressure may be felt while the surgeon rocks the tooth to widen the socket before removal. Sometimes the surgeon will need to section the tooth into smaller pieces to allow for an easier removal.
More complicated tooth extractions may require IV anesthesia, which will put you in a sleep-like state until the procedure is over. Sometimes patients opt for IV anesthesia if they are more anxious about their procedure. Our surgical staff will work with you to make sure you are completely at ease with your procedure and treatment plan.
What Happens After a Tooth is Pulled Out?
You have a choice in how to proceed after having a tooth extracted. There are many options to consider when replacing a missing tooth. These include:
- Dental implants, which can be inserted into the empty socket immediately after extraction. This option provides natural-looking results that prevent bone loss because the implant post fuses to the jaw bone.
- Removable bridges or partial dentures can cosmetically restore your smile. Traditional oral appliances rely on your other teeth for support, which can cause them damage or require them to be reshaped. These options do not fuse to the jaw or prevent bone loss.
- Full-arch restoration is ideal for patients needing many tooth extractions. This treatment uses dental implants to support a fixed prosthesis, resulting in a brand new and natural-looking smile.
- Socket preservation is a type of bone grafting procedure that involves your surgeon placing grafting material into the empty socket to preserve its shape and size until you are ready to have a dental implant placed.
- You can choose to leave the missing tooth untreated. However, this puts you at risk of neighboring teeth shifting into the open spot, which can develop into greater misalignment or bite problems. Without a tooth’s root or implant post embedded into the jaw, the jaw bone will deteriorate in that area over time, resulting in sagging features and even severe bone repair.
Tooth Extractions in Fresno, Clovis, Reedley, and Madera, CA
If you or your child need a dental extraction, we can help. Fresno Oral Maxillofacial Surgery & Dental Implant Center regularly performs quick and easy tooth extractions on patients of all ages who are in need. Contact one of our offices for more information or to schedule a consultation. A member of our staff will be happy to help you.
Types of Anesthesia
Our surgeons offer many options for anesthesia and sedation to ensure your comfort during treatment.
Hear From Tooth Extraction Patients
These patients can tell you about the firsthand experience undergoing tooth extraction at our office.
Reviews From Our Tooth Extraction Patients
"I had a tooth that needed to be extracted. I had bone deterioration, so I needed a graft before they could do an implant. The staff here is absolutely wonderful. You feel comfortable from the minute you walk in. I always felt very relaxed while I was here. Dr. Kheradpir is wonderful to deal with. He is knowledgeable, he is very concerned with how you feel, and everything looks good, and I’m extremely comfortable, and I’m very happy with the procedure. It was a wonderful experience, and I would come back if I had to. For my friends in Fresno and in Prather, I would highly recommend Fresno Oral Surgery."
Patricia Reviews Her Tooth Extraction Procedure
"I was looking for someone who would be careful with my daughter because she had a lot of anxiety coming in. Well, she's getting ready for braces, and she doesn't have a lot of room in her mouth, so the doctors wanted to have some teeth extracted to make room. My daughter was very nervous about coming in, but when she met the staff, they were really very encouraging. Her procedure was great. I couldn't have expected anything smoother. She came in, the doctors were really patient about setting up everything that needed to happen, and it was really done in a matter of 15 minutes, so I was really happy with how it went. Dr. Chien was really great with my daughter. He really made her feel at ease. He answered all her questions. He was very patient with her and made her feel comfortable. If someone else needed teeth work done, I would definitely recommend Dr. Chien and the other doctors here. The staff are really friendly, they make you feel very comfortable, and our experience just went very smoothly."
Lorie Reviews Her Tooth Extraction Procedure
"I came to Fresno Oral Surgery to have extractions. I was very nervous. They sensed that somehow and made me feel very comfortable. Dr. Chien was incredibly comforting. He made me feel at ease. I trusted him completely from the first time I met him. The surgery went great and I’m forever grateful to Dr. Chien and the entire staff here. I would give Fresno Oral Surgery five stars. I would recommend Dr. Chien. He’s an incredible doctor. He’s very caring. I’m happier. Things are going great and I can smile again."
Cheryl Reviews Her Tooth Extraction Procedure
"I am a cancer survivor patient, and one of the side effects from the radiation treatments was a possibility of dry mouth, which I did end up experiencing, which ended up having to have some extractions, and eventually, all of my upper teeth were removed. Dr. Barnhart did everything, and I’m very grateful for her and everything that she’s done for me. She knows I believe above and beyond what’s expected of an oral surgeon. She was a perfect match for my situation, so I’m just very grateful for her personally as a dental professional. She’s just amazing. Very glad that I came in here. My experience at Fresno Oral Surgery has just been wonderful."
"I had an extraction and a dental implant. I was having a lot of pain in my tooth before I came here. As soon as you walk through the door and you meet the ladies at the front desk, they’re very friendly. Everyone here makes you feel so welcome from the time you walk in. The surgery went very well. It was easy. I didn’t feel anything. Dr. Kheradpir is very great. He is knowledgeable in the job that he does. He makes you feel very comfortable. I had a great experience here at Fresno Oral Surgery. They did an amazing job, and I am so grateful that I came here."
Providing Superior Patient Experiences and Outcomes
Our experts welcome you to our state-of-the-art offices, where we will improve your smile and health. Use the buttons below to learn more.