Gentle Tooth Removal in the Central Valley
Sometimes the only way to prevent further oral problems is by removing the affected tooth or teeth. Severe dental decay, gum disease, facial injuries, or other conditions that can cause damage are common reasons for tooth extraction, which is a common procedure in our office at Fresno Oral Maxillofacial Surgery & Dental Implant Center. An adult or baby tooth sometimes needs to be removed for orthodontic purposes as well. Tooth extractions performed by a skilled oral surgeon ensures safe and comfortable removal and a fast recovery.
All of your treatment options will be considered before your referring dentist and oral surgeon determine that a tooth extraction is the best option. A tooth can sometimes be saved by your oral surgeon or dentist through a root canal, apicoectomy, or other restorative procedure. However, an extraction may be the only solution in some cases. Tooth replacement options, such as dental implants, will be discussed with you to replace the missing tooth. If a bone grafting procedure is needed before dental implant placement, we may be able to place the graft at the same time as the extraction.
Reasons for Needing a Tooth Removed
Dental extractions treat several different conditions, including:
- Severe decay or tooth infections. Tooth decay that is severe enough can spread infection to other parts of the mouth.
- Broken or damaged teeth. In the instance where a broken tooth cannot be repaired by a dentist or oral surgeon, the remaining part of the tooth will need to be removed.
- Crowding or impaction. In rare cases, extra teeth are present in the dental arch. Because there is often not enough room to accommodate these extra teeth, crowding and poor positioning are common. In some instances, baby teeth (often the canines) do not fall out in time for the new teeth to come in. Removing these baby teeth allows the adult teeth to erupt and grow into their proper position.
- Gum disease (periodontal disease). Gum disease can loosen the tooth sockets and damage the teeth if it is advanced enough. Extractions are sometimes necessary to stop the infection and prevent it from affecting the adjacent bone tissue and teeth.
The Tooth Extraction Procedure
You will meet with Dr. Chien, Dr. Kheradpir, Dr. Barnhart, Dr. Huh, and Dr. Curiel during the consultation. Our staff may take 3D scans of your mouth to create detailed digital images of your facial structure. Prior to any procedure, we will discuss and help you select the right form of anesthesia for your comfort.
If you have been given local anesthesia, which is common for a tooth extraction procedure, you will be awake during the procedure but should not feel any pain. Pressure may be felt while the surgeon rocks the tooth to widen the socket before removal. Sometimes the surgeon will need to section the tooth into smaller pieces to allow for an easier removal.
More complicated tooth extractions may require IV anesthesia, which will put you in a sleep-like state until the procedure is over. Sometimes patients opt for IV anesthesia if they are more anxious about their procedure. Our surgical staff will work with you to make sure you are completely at ease with your procedure and treatment plan.
What Happens After a Tooth is Pulled Out?
You have a choice in how to proceed after having a tooth extracted. There are many options to consider when replacing a missing tooth. These include:
- Dental implants, which can be inserted into the empty socket immediately after extraction. This option provides natural-looking results that prevent bone loss because the implant post fuses to the jaw bone.
- Removable bridges or partial dentures can cosmetically restore your smile. Traditional oral appliances rely on your other teeth for support, which can cause them damage or require them to be reshaped. These options do not fuse to the jaw or prevent bone loss.
- Full-arch restoration is ideal for patients needing many tooth extractions. This treatment uses dental implants to support a fixed prosthesis, resulting in a brand new and natural-looking smile.
- Socket preservation is a type of bone grafting procedure that involves your surgeon placing grafting material into the empty socket to preserve its shape and size until you are ready to have a dental implant placed.
- You can choose to leave the missing tooth untreated. However, this puts you at risk of neighboring teeth shifting into the open spot, which can develop into greater misalignment or bite problems. Without a tooth’s root or implant post embedded into the jaw, the jaw bone will deteriorate in that area over time, resulting in sagging features and even severe bone repair.
Tooth Extractions in Fresno, Clovis, Reedley, and Madera, CA
If you or your child need a dental extraction, we can help. Fresno Oral Maxillofacial Surgery & Dental Implant Center regularly performs quick and easy tooth extractions on patients of all ages who are in need. Contact one of our offices for more information or to schedule a consultation. A member of our staff will be happy to help you.
Types of Anesthesia
Our surgeons offer many options for anesthesia and sedation to ensure your comfort during treatment.
Hear From Tooth Extraction Patients
These patients can tell you about the firsthand experience undergoing tooth extraction at our office.
Reviews From Our Tooth Extraction Patients
Michele Reviews Her Tooth Extraction Procedure
"After being referred to a root canal specialist, he said, ‘You have a fractured tooth,’ and he referred me to Fresno Oral Surgery. The staff was very accommodating. Met the doctor and went through the extraction. She was very gentle, very accommodating, explained all the steps she was taking and why. So I was made to feel very comfortable throughout the entire process. Dr. Barnhart was very friendly, very upfront. I was very comfortable with how she treated me. I had a great experience, and I would definitely recommend Dr. Barnhart."
Ron Reviews His Tooth Extraction Procedure
"Fresno Oral Surgery was a very pleasant experience. It’s very clean. The staff is very friendly. They were very welcoming. Dr. Curiel is a very professional doctor. He very much explained to me the procedure, all the steps, what was going to happen, and my procedure went great and I’m very happy with my dental implant. I had a very good experience here at Fresno Oral Surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Curiel. "
Kathryn Reviews Her Tooth Extraction Procedure
"I decided to seek out my procedure with Fresno Oral Surgery due to my son’s positive experience. Dr. K. was just really really wonderful. He really made me feel very very confident and at ease. The staff was very comforting and they treated me like family. The procedure was wonderful, everything went very smooth, and I was very happy with the procedure. I had a great experience. I highly recommend Fresno Oral Surgery."
Haley Reviews Her Tooth Extraction Procedure
"I came to see Dr. Barnhart to get four permanent teeth out to make room for braces. I was really nervous. They took me in and I sat in a chair — they had me squeeze a ball to get my veins pumping — and then they did my IV, and I just went asleep, and I woke up happy. My recovery was actually not bad. It wasn't painful, or it didn't hurt. Dr. Barnhart is really nice. She is very good with kids, and she's just really comforting and caring and really nice. If one of my friends needed to get their teeth out, I would tell them that this is a really good place to come because everyone's just so nice to you, and they're really caring, and they take you through the whole procedure, and they're just really comforting. I highly recommend Fresno Oral Surgery. Dr. Barnhart is awesome."
Lauren Reviews Her Tooth Extraction Procedure
"I came here to have my eye teeth pulled for braces. The staff was very welcoming, and they comforted me because they could tell I was really nervous. They made me feel better. Dr. Barnhart — she's really nice, and she's good with kids, so she has a way of making them feel more comfortable about the whole thing. She said that it wouldn't hurt at all. Before the operation happened, she was just talking to me about what she was going to do and that it wouldn't hurt. I would recommend Fresno Oral Surgery to my friends in Hanford, CA, because the staff and the doctors are really welcoming, and they help you feel less nervous about the whole operation."
Providing Superior Patient Experiences and Outcomes
Our experts welcome you to our state-of-the-art offices, where we will improve your smile and health. Use the buttons below to learn more.